Long term planning—even in lawn care and gardening and especially for hardscapes—has a huge impact on overall costs. What questions are you asking your landscape design company and are they the correct questions for your planning process?
Here are a few thought provoking questions to ask either your designer or installer before beginning a major project:
- How long will each structure, material, and product being installed last?
- What is the repair, replacement or maintenance cost for this item compared to the initial cost?
- Will this proposed installation increase or decrease my overall maintenance costs?
- Will this installation change my annual irrigation costs?
- Will this change the way my structure and property drains rain and ground water?
- How could we change this plan to reduce my long term maintenance costs?
- How difficult is maintenance on this product or feature compared to other options?
- What are the ongoing maintenance costs for this product or feature?
- Are there any health or safety hazards with these products or features?
- How will this improvement affect my neighbors’ properties or nearby rights-of-way?
Many times I see maintenance nightmares created by talented landscape artists who just haven’t considered the answers to the above questions. Having a little more long term vision never hurts – even in residential land care.